Sunday, February 1, 2009

Jupiter Island History

Jupiter Island first recorded history was as part of the Gomez Grant in 1815. This reward to the King of Spain for faithful service included Jupiter Island and most of Hobe Sound.

After the passing of the King, the land was then divided among the heirs and mostly sold in early 1900's. A British Land development company purchased most of the land and then just a few years later went bankrupt. Later a group of people purchased the land and built homes. They wanted to conserve the beauty of the island and gave much of the island to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services.

Even to this day, Jupiter Island maintains low density living as it aims to preserve the Island's natural beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.